Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Acrassicauda, Heavy Metal in a war torn country.

I have been following a heavy metal band called Acrassicauda that came out of Iraq. The intense documentary about what they went through over there is called "Heavy Metal in Baghdad".

http://www.heavymetalinbaghdad.com/

I watched this documentary and could not be anything but compelled at the story of these young men who were really just like me and my friends. They were all people I could see myself playing X-Box with in my living room or hanging out with. Although not a documentary directly about the war in many ways it touched me far more then many of them. Because it humanized the people of Iraq. It put a huge microscope on the fact that the casualty reports are REAL PEOPLE. The movie covered a lot of things that happened to them including one of their practice studios being struck by a stray missile. You are basically taken into the lives of these young men who are just like any of us and then abruptly reminded that they were living in a country ravaged by war.

So now they have finally made it to the United States after a lot of turmoil including death threats for being too Americanized. I simply cannot wait to finally get a chance to see them live.

You can listen to songs from them at their MySpace http://www.myspace.com/wwwacrassicaudas5com

Their new EP is available for download at Amazon. (You can also buy a CD for it). It is called "Only the dead live to see the end of war" and it is amazing if you like Heavy Metal.

http://www.amazon.com/Only-Dead-See-End-War/dp/B0035ZNVP8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1268157900&sr=1-1

Even if you don't like Heavy Metal, check out the story of how war impacts the lives of everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment